So I’ve been a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes since forever.
And by that I mean the original Conan Doyle stories. I love the following things about Sherlock Holmes screen adaptations:
- Watson being slightly badass and entirely appalled by the things Sherlock does sometimes.
- Any inclusion whatsoever of Mycroft Holmes.
- Sherlock’s boxing and drug use.
- Playing up of sexual tension and/or romantic undertones to their epic relationship.
- References, no matter how passing, to the fact that Watson writes about their adventures.
- The inclusion of Mary and the resulting jealous tension.
I hate the following things about screen adaptations:
- Sherlock being incredibly campy and using a giant magnifying glass.
- Watson being a bumbling, pompous idiot who has to have Sherlock explain things to him as if he’s four years old and mentally deficient.
- Irene Adler being made more or less badass than she was, styled whorishly, or being turned into a love interest for Holmes.
- The inclusion of the supernatural and/or scientifically inexplicable.
So someone tell me…would I be likely to enjoy the show? I kind of want to watch it but I’ve been burned by TV and movie treatments of Holmes and Watson before. It leaves a mark.